Things My Math Teacher Did Last Year. Tidbits include:
"1. Forgot how to find the slope of a line.
3. Pointed the overhead projector out the window instead of at the screen.
4. Taught us the difference between vertical and horizontal.
13. She explained 1-dimensional, 2-dimensional, and 3-dimensional objects. She then portrayed what a 2 1/2-dimensional object was by violently wadding up a piece of paper into a ball and holding it out to us. She later realized that she needed that piece of paper to make copies of the homework assignment for the class.
14. The only reason she was talking about 2 1/2-dimensional objects in the first place was because she thought 1 + 1/2 + 1/2 = 2 1/2.
19. Admitted that she doesn't have enough brain cells to know what pi is.
20. Used her superior math skills to estimate that the answer to one problem was somewhere in between 100 and 1,000.
22. Had the ingenious idea to combine math and gym class, which she demonstrated by moving her arms around frantically so that they looked like certain graphs. No one else did it.
24. Said that math is an escape from the real world and those who do math cannot deal with reality.
26. Said that she might have invented the distributive property, but she wasn't really sure.
27. Some students lost points on their homework assignment for using logarithms to solve certain problems because she had not taught us that method yet. Other methods, such as guessing, were accepted.
28. Taught us various ways to use our calculators to cheat on the test.
29. Determined that 2000/400 was "probably" 5.
31. Admitted that she spent a lot of her childhood hanging on to an electric fence for as long as she could.
37. Has the amazing ability to somehow associate any math problem with the time she went to Australia.
38. Direct Quote: "The facts of life is this is a parabola." I have no idea what she could have possibly meant by that.
40. Told us that it's possible for a math problem to be its own grandma."
I'm dying laughing. This is worse than any of my math teachers by far, and I had some semi-loonies on occasion.