I'm finding various online "design your own figure"-type sites and trying to design figures that look as close to me as possible for a self-portrait collage project. This is surprisingly tricky when one (a) wears glasses, which aren't always offered, and (b) normally has blonde/brown hair and currently dyes it vaguely-reddish/blonde. What hair color to pick?
Here's the last of my crocheted samples.Yeah, that octopus has a ton of arms, what of it?
For Round Two of this level of experimentation, Meg and I dipped the pieces in slip without pre-soaking them first, and then put them in already made little cups.Meg also threw a bowl for my second version of the mandala to drape in there. I painted more slip on top of that.
So how did they come out?
So at this point they haven't crumbled in the kiln! Huzzah! However, I will admit that a few of them came out...crumblier when they were manhandled a bit later.
This one has pretty much lost its shit altogether after the photo was taken, really. And after breaking an edge off of another piece unexpectedly, I am being VERY careful about touching them. I glazed everything but the big nice bowl (I'm afraid to mess with it) to see how that comes out.
Oh, and this is a totally random thing I made after using some of Meg's experimental drippy swirly bits.
So I thought this was going well. This week we made a few more pieces to try out:
I made a mandala and Meg made a bowl to drape it into, and she made a mandala and draped it over a flat piece she made. She also did a knitting sample and put it into a shell, and I dumped my scrumble into...well, it's kinda the top of a fairy house, I guess? But we'll probably never know because...
On Tuesday, I saw last week's pieces in the kiln. Most of them looked great or good, except for Meg's angel, which had crumbled entirely. We guessed it was due to starch being in it or something.
But a few days later I went to put the new pieces out to be baked in the kiln...and politely got told NOT to, because this happened when they tried to take the pieces out of the kiln:
Apparently yarn + clay slip is too thin and breaks. It was suggested that we either (a) quit doing this, or (b) start dunking them in so much clay you can't see the yarn details, which kinda seems like defeating the purpose.
Back to the drawing board...? Or Meg doing more tests....something? She said she saw that someone managed this online...wonder what they did.
So I'm taking a sculpture class that's VERY experimental. For example, this is from the first night of class-- we were to stamp a motif all over the clay and then drape it over something. Mine... broke a lot. Oh well.
Anyway, the instructor got the idea for me to knit/crochet some pieces out of a natural fiber--cotton in this case-- and then we'd try to turn them into something ceramic. Uh, somehow.
First one is basically a knitting sampler, the second and third are scrumbles (random bits of crochet), and the fourth is a crocheted mandala. Here's what they look like dry. Then the teacher (Meg) had me learn how to make paper clay--kind of a mashup of newspaper and clay slip-- and after soaking my pieces in water for about an hour, soaked them in the clay. I draped the scrumbles on a flat block, the knitted sampler on a bowl (with newspaper propping up the middle), and the mandala eventually ended up in a bowl with a foam donut holding up the middle.
Meg had a crocheted angel that she dipped and propped up with newspaper in the middle, but I didn't get a shot of it before the dip.
A week-ish later after drying, they look like this:
I'm surprised the mandala (which I am trying to turn into a bowl) actually stayed that stiff. They've been put out to be bisqued....we'll see how that works, or if it does. Meanwhile, Meg is having me make more to do another attempt at a bowl--she'll throw one and we'll drape another mandala in or on it or something. I guess? We'll see this coming week.
Otherwise known as "Hawaiian Sweater #1," because I've decided to do a second one that's....well, requires less explanation to folks. But more on that later.
After finishing sewing the sweater together and seeing how huge the neckline came out, I realized that I'd need to add some more coverage to it before I sewed on a bunch of crocheted leis. So I did some 1x1 ribbing around the neck for 3.5 inches, i.e. the width of 4 leis.Then I sewed them on around the neck.
Yup, I wrote out the entire dang lyrics to the song (though not in pidgin spelling).
Sewn together, flat view.
I did the neckline deliberately huge because I plan on putting four flower leis (the last thing I have to add) around the neck, somehow. But it seems....kinda huge right now. I had to pin it on the mannequin for the photo just to stay on. Still need to come up with some adjustments.
Front, back, sleeves. I did write "Numbah One Day Of Christmas" on the front and sewed on a few shells. I'm debating finding some fish beads or something. And what else to put on it, lei-wise. And if I want to try to put lights into this one or not--at this point I'm leaning towards no because it's got enough, but people have liked the lights on the last sweater.
The missionaries are finally done. They look like a bunch of little Mormon guys because I figured that would be most recognizeable as missionaries (so far, nobody thinks so though). Perhaps they should be a cancan line on the back of the sweater.
On to the hula girls and then that's all the numbers.