Finally, after exactly a month of wrangling this project, here's the one that inspired it all: the Legacy Frock Coat. This is what the pattern is supposed to look like. I...ended up fudging a lot.
- I could not get gauge for it--I finally gave up and went with the closest gauge I could get, 17 sts x 20 rows.
- I am quite confused as to what size I am in this pattern--my best guess is a 4X. (Really?!) My back is 20 inches across and I’m usually a size 8, so apparently I am kind of huge for it anyway.
- Between the size question and the gauge issue, I am not doing well at figuring out how to knit the sleeves/back tube. I eventually decided to use the Tubey pattern from Knitty and do enough math to convert that to bulky yarn and knit it approximately that way, i.e. knit it flat, then go into the round and then go back and knit the other sleeve.
- I picked up around the edges of the tube to do the collar/back, but doing the pattern as written-ish meant that it came out on me a few inches short of having an actual tail. (Probably because I couldn’t fit so many stitches around the tube edge as in the pattern.) I ended up adding an extra 22 rows on as a “tail” after giving up on doing the “short row” decreases.
- I wanted more of a bolero across the boobs sort of look--plus I had to make the extra tail I added look natural. So I put all of the stitches from just below my neck and around the collar to the other side of the neck on waste yarn, and put all of the added-on stitches on the tail onto waste yarn. I then put the side stitches on the needle and picked up and knit the stitches on the side tail. I then did the same “short rows” technique back and forth until i had 12 stitches that weren’t “wrapped.” Did the same for the other side.
- It fastens together at the point at the front.
I’m pretty happy with my eventual heavy fudging of this project in order to get it to work for me--but man, it was hard to figure this out. I am either the wrong size/gauge, or dumb, or both somehow to do it as written, sigh.