I went to a workshop in natural dyes today. We dyed stuff--in my case, 3 skeins of yarn, 1 batch of roving, and cut up samples of cotton leaf fabric--in brazilwood (light red), pokeberry (dark red), pomegranate skins (oddly enough, yellow) and black walnuts (brown).
We also did some ah, impromptu sorta-dyeing by plucking roses, spraying a T-shirt with soda ash or water, then sandwiching some petals in between the fabric and...well, hitting them with a hammer. It came out with odd results.
Yeah, I don't get why red roses + water = red and hot pink, pale pink/orange + soda ash= light green grass color, red roses + soda ash = dark green/blue....Very strange. I felt sorry for everyone on the first floor having to hear us hammering.
Here's how the yarn came out.
Yeah, some of that came out paler than I'd like. We're going to do more techniques and creative stuff involving different sorts and levels of dyeing next week, so I may redo them.
But as for the leaf fabric...wow, check how those went.